In June of last year we shared some examples of manufacturer led initiatives that are working to tackle the biggest challenges they face. The challenges are predominantly the skills gap and workforce development issues. Now it is 2019, and have an update for you. In an Email update from SVMI executive director Dean Peckham to supporters and manufacturers Dean laid out the achievements of SVMI to date. They are impressive! While they haven’t solved the skills gap and work force issues, they have put a dent in it, and proven that when manufacturers themselves lead the way, real solutions emerge.
Highlight of SVMI’s 2018/2019 accomplishments:
Alignment with Education
- 2018 & 2019 Train the Trainer Program for 30 regional high school & community college instructors.
- Over 1,000& Students Interacted with Local Manufacturers
- 9 Presentations to High School Classes
- 7 Tours of Local Manufacturers by High School Classes
- 12 High School and Community College CTE Advisory Meetings
- 7 Community College CTE Advisory Meetings
- Hosted 2019 SVMI State of Manufacturing & Education Breakfast for 110 attendees.
- SVMI supports development of new Industrial Maintenance Mechanics Programs at Yuba College and Sacramento City College
Workforce Development Alignment
- Organized and Hosted CNC Pre-Apprentice Training Program. 23 individuals participated. 20 trainees were placed with local manufacturers
- SVMI partners with the Charles A Jones Career and Education Center to develop the Manufacturing Skills Center. SVMI and CAJ host Manufacturing Day Summit on 10/4/2019.
- SVMI & Charles A Jones receive donation of 5 mills and lathes to support development of the Manufacturing Skills Center.
- SVMI receives $180,000 (3 years) from federal partner, CMTC, to support growth of SVMi’s programs.
- SVMI receives $35,000 in ETP and SBDC funding to support pre-apprenticeship program
- SVMi receives $55,000 grant to support development of CNC Machinist Apprenticeship Program. Program begins January 2020.
Visit www.sacvalleymfg.org learn more about SVMI and become a member as either a manufacturer or industry partner like Managed Solutions.